Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Monday Recap-Thanksgiving Menu-Best Apple Pie Recipe

Monday Recap

I finished my Monday list and I even got started setting out the dishes, recipes, and non-refrigerated items for the appetizers. They are ready to make! Quick Tip-set out your ingredients, serving pieces, and recipes ahead of time. When you go to make your ham ball all of the non-refrigerated items are already together and you are ready to go! This saves alot of time.

I also went through all of my scarves, belts, & purses last night. Getting rid of what I don't use. Quick Tip-Organizing your hats, gloves, scarves right before it gets really cold will help you not only know what you have and what you need but will help to stock the second hand stores with what others need too. We all know we also need room for all of those new scarves we always get!

I have to brag for just a minute. I even went to the gym! Hallelujah! My body hates me right now, so a trip to the gym is much needed.
  • Monday
    • clean entire upstairs-finished!
    • finish Christmas decorating upstairs-finished!
    • finish organizing office (this is my husbands space and always needs a little extra help before company comes)-as much as he would let me, LOL!
  • Tuesday
    • clean entire downstairs (mega clean was just a few weeks ago-so this should just be a good basic cleaning)
    • clean dining room table & parlor table
    • set the tables with linens, chargers, centerpieces, & salt and pepper shakers
    • make tent cards with all menu items. I use place cards for this. Quick Tip-having the name of what is what will ward of alot of questions-leaving you to enjoy the meal with everyone else!
Thanksgiving Menu
  • Appetizer
    • Butter Mints (left over from a baby shower I hosted)
    • Pumpkin Fluff w/graham crackers and shortbread cookies
    • Ham Ball w/ritz crackers and another thin square cracker-can't remember the name
    • Chex Mix (CVS had this on clearance so why not?)
  • Relish
    • Cranberry Salad-delegated to my mother
  • En tree
    • Ham (ordered in advance from a wholesale food distributor-Kelly Foods)
    • Quick Tip-check with your local food distributors. Alot of times they will let you order from them and they will give you a better price than you can get anywhere else!
  • Side Dish
    • Frozen Cranberry Salad (already made!)
    • Mac & Cheese-delegated to my mother
    • Stuffing-anyone know a good recipe?
    • Deviled Eggs-delegated to sister
    • Gravy
    • Mashed Potatoes-delegated to my mother
    • Green Bean Casserole-delegated to friend of the family
  • Bread
    • Rolls-delegated to another friend of the family
  • Salad
    • Romaine Salad-a family favorite, I will post the recipe soon. This is my go-to salad recipe
  • Dessert
    • Pumpkin Upside Down Cake
    • Sweet Potato Pie-delegated to family friend
    • Apple Pie-see pics of one I did last week below!
    • Something Desserty-a friend of the family
  • Beverages
    • Red Pigs Sweet Tea-delegated to brother-in-law (the best sweet tea in town!)
    • Spiced Cider
    • Various soft drinks I have in my fridge :)
    • Water
There you have it! I think we will have enough food, LOL!

Apple Pie by Grandma Ople
  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
  2. Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
  3. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft

I used the Pampered Chef Apple corer/slicer/peeler and it worked great. I baked it a little less as the slicer slices the apples a little thin. Quick Tip-If you want one of these handy gadgets look at your local hardware store ours sells them for $15! Alot less than the pampered chef ones. (I borrowed this from a co-worker)

I also used apples from another co-workers tree. The apples were almost gone so I had to do alot of trimming.

As you see below I poured most of the mixture on the apples before I put on the lattice work. I saved enough to baste the top with.

Quick Tip-A quick and easy way to make lattice work from a frozen pie crust-use your pizza cutter! After the pie is baked you can't tell the difference!





18 comments:

April said...

Great looking pie!

Carol said...

Your Thanksgiving menu looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

You are so smart! I can't wait to try that apple pie. Oh, and congrats on the gym trip! I HATE going to the gym and I REFUSE to go even though I need to really really bad.

Four Paws and Co said...

You are sooo amazingly organized! Thanks for the pie recipe. It looks delicious! :0} Diane

Bo said...

Oh yeah...gotta try this pie! Thanks Brett, ;-) Bo

Terri Steffes said...

Okkkkk, I either love ya or hate you!! That being said, I love all that you are doing and you are inspiring me, girl! I hope you are doing all this January!

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!!! I LOVE apple pie!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

You are SO organized. I am SO impressed. The applie pie impressed me too! Looks delicious! laurie

Unknown said...

Those Pies are cook book, picture perfect! Good job!

~Liz~

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Girl you make me tired every time I come by here...now the Apples pies look Yummy...thanks for coming by for tea today...hugs and smiles Gloria

Miss Janice said...

You are way ahead of the game girl! I loved so much about this post. When I read about how you clean and organize and bake and create... That ham ball sounds deelish and the apple pie looks perfect and tempting! You must never sleep:)

Anonymous said...

Oh, yummy!! That looks so good. Maybe you'll save me a slice!
Oh, I found those little glass acorns and rounds at Pier One! I just love that place!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

beckygiggles said...

They're called ham and pickle pinwheel appetizers. I checked foodnetwork to be sure. Paula Deen's recipe, of course. But no butter in this one! lol All you need is ham, pickles, and softened cream cheese. Spread the cream cheese on the ham and roll up around the pickle. Then slice into 1/2 inch slices. (It's kind of like redneck sushi.) Really easy and no one can eat just one!

beckygiggles said...

They're called ham and pickle pinwheel appetizers. I checked foodnetwork to be sure. Paula Deen's recipe, of course. But no butter in this one! lol All you need is ham, pickles, and softened cream cheese. Spread the cream cheese on the ham and roll up around the pickle. Then slice into 1/2 inch slices. (It's kind of like redneck sushi.) Really easy and no one can eat just one!

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

You did not seriously get all that done, did you? Well make me feel fat & lazy why dontcha? ;o)

Your pie looks great! And put me on teh list for tomorrow's Trim a Tree Thursday please.

Taryn said...

Wow those pies look so nummy! I never have the patience for cutting all those apples. Good for you!

Unknown said...

Looks delicious!!

Nancy Rosalina said...

You did a good job, that pie looks perfect!