Friday, November 14, 2008

It's Friday! A checklist for you and me=less stress

I first want to thank all of you for joining in on Trim the Tree Thursday and for commenting on each others blogs-this was so much fun! I loved looking at all the decor-I still have some to look at today! We will be having this event every Thursday.

If you have been following my blog you know I have been working on Christmas and Thanksgiving for a while now. I have several goals this year and I would like to tell you why I have these goals. I know many of you can relate.

My first goal is to have ALL Christmas shopping finished by November 30th. I want to finish the day after Thanksgiving, but I will give myself a couple extra days. (we might be going somewhere special on the 30th and they have a giftshop-more on this later) Do know that I start the day after Christmas every year. I have done this for several years now. Our family is ginormous and I absolutely could not afford Christmas if I didn't start that early and shop sales throughout the year. I refuse to have a credit card and pay for Christmas 08 in 09!

My second goal is to scale back on the parties. I am still hosting Thanksgiving, my annual cookie exchange, & Christmas Eve Brunch. However, instead of hosting a different group of each of our families on a different night I am having an Open House. All of our family is welcome and so are our friends and neighbors. This Open House will take 3 parties I hosted last year off of my list!

My third goal is to enjoy Christmas. This may sound funny for a person that lives for December, but last year both my husband and I simply gave out on Christmas Eve-it was miserable! So this year less=more!

I will include that last year we moved into our home on August 3'rd and had 3 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, dining room, hallways, & entry way painted. The painting lasted until Thanksgiving! So I was definitely behind schedule!

In order to reach these goals I have finished the following:
  • Most gifts are bought
  • Gifts are wrapped
  • Christmas cards are done
  • 1 tree is finished-upstairs of course
  • 1 tree is almost finished-upstairs too
  • Christmas linens are washed
  • I have started washing my Christmas dishes
  • My holiday recipes are organized and sorted together
  • My fall cleaning is finished-thank you Katie
  • I have started buying holiday baking essentials
  • My Thanksgiving menu is planned
  • I bought almost all items for Thanksgiving Menu
  • I DELEGATED several side items, desserts, bread, & even the sweet tea!
  • I finished Thanksgiving gifts
  • I started making Thanksgiving dinner-Frozen Cranberry Salad
This weekend start on a few of your to-do's. Doing a little now will save you from having those always present midnight wrapping sessions and freak out moments we have all had!

Only have 5 minutes? Start stamping your envelopes and addressing them for your Christmas cards-don't seal them-you may become real festive and include a pic or a newsletter at the last minute!

12 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I like to get things done early too. You are ahead of me though. I did make my labels for my cards last night. Have a good weekend.

angela said...

Can you handle my Christmas this year? I'm too tired to even begin after reading all you have already done. =)

Carol said...

You are so organized! I need to make a list & follow your lead! Thanks for the inspiration!
Carol

Gone said...

Oh my...I remember when I did all that STUFF for Christmas and the Holidays...and feeling "spent" by Christmas Eve. While I enjoyed cooking and entertaining...there is alot more to it than just that.

Our first Christmas here in our new place, we had a Christmas party...mostly with people from our old church and people from our new church present.

Last year...everyone was too busy to come for Our Christmas Party...so, we didn't have one. We have no relatives around that will come over. Mine are in Wisconsin and Tom's adult children don't like me and will only talk to their father again if he gets rid of me...so that pretty much keeps our party schedule light! LOL!!

This year...we're spending some time around the Holidays AWAY! That will be a nice treat for both of us.

Keep it simple...and enjoy!

Terri Steffes said...

You rock! I will live vicariously through you, ok?

Miss Janice said...

Girl, you are organized! I hear you...Every year we are so exhausted by Christmas Eve. I am thinking maybe of making this a very simple Christmas, yeah right!

Salmagundi said...

I'm trying to keep it simple this year with the economy, etc. But, I love reading all about your organizational and planning skills! Keep us informed. Sally

Pamela... Beehind Thyme Farm & Garden said...

Goodness... girl you sure know how to prepare. I am already worn out! I really envy you... being so organized.

Love to stop in to visit from thyme 2 thyme...
Blessings, Pamela

Bo said...

Brett, I'm going to start calling you Martha as in Stewart...
LOL..you really do have a sensible plan! ;-) Bo

Melissa Miller said...

You are good! I have already purchased our Christmas Cards. That's it so far... I plan on posting for the "Trim a Tree Thursday". ~Melissa

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the motivation! We are going with the less=more theory this year as well. I really want to enjoy Christmas this year! I can't wait to watch you check off your list!

April said...

I am envious that you are this far already! I haven't even started! I am jealous that you are having the cookie exchange. I have wanted to have one for years. Take lots of pics!