Thursday, October 23, 2008

Hurt Feelings @ Christmas Time


I read one of the best articles on www.organizedchristmas.com

Really, everyone has been there, you open a gift and realize you didn't buy your cousin Shirley as nice of a gift. Or, you open a gift and think, "great, now fake a smile", because you bought your Uncle Joe the perfect gift and he got you another ugly scarf from the dollar store.

I truly believe the best way to avoid conflict is through communication. This is a hard subject to talk about because everyone is emotionally invested in it. But, uncomfortable or not, it's a conversation you should have with your family NOW. Get it out of the way.

I already had the talk about Christmas budgets with my sister, sister in-law, brother in-law, and husband. I really feel like there shouldn't be hurt feelings this year, at least not as many anyway.

So-now is the time-talk to your family and understand where everyone is coming from. And don't forget to be honest. If you want to do homemade gifts, understand that not everyone is super crafty or that not everyone enjoys your homemade brownies in a jar. If your family wants to set a larger budget than you are comfortable with, speak up! Better to be honest and uncomfortable then to be in debt and stressed.

And one last tidbit-Share Christmas Wish Lists, this helps everyone out, including you!

1 comment:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

LOL - I loved reading your profile. Hostess with the mostess is what my friends and family call me! In fact I am preparing to entertain some friends tonight while hubby works late. I don't have the same energy as I did when I was your age so I use more shortcuts now and have simplified my style, but it still beats what most of my friends choose to even attempt.

Your home is lovely. It reminds me of the home I grew up in.

Thanks for stopping by. That mirror was made in the late 70's or early 80's by Yield House and was dark pine - it is called a glove box mirror. It has been a few colors since then! LOL

Stop by anytime!